Friday, June 6, 2008

Daystar Television and it’s false teachings.

For the last couple of days, the Christian television channel "Daystar" has been running a 24 hours-a-day telethon to raise money for their station. Out of curiosity, I have found myself turning to it every once in a while to see what kind of unbiblical statements they were declaring this time. I should admit now, before I go any further, that twice in the past when I have seen these telethons on, I have called the number to speak with a "prayer partner" and told them I didn’t have the money they were asking for, but that I needed a miracle from God…just to see what kind of response I would get. They usually told me that God could still help me in my need and that I didn’t have to give the exact number they wanted, but rather could give what I could.

So, here I am, watching this telethon. From the few times I have flipped over to the channel while waiting for The Simpsons or The O’Reilly Factor (I love that guy!) to come back from commercial break, here are a few of the statements I have heard from the people on Daystar:
If you give $77 a month for a year, you will receive "1 of 300 MIRACLES!"
"Prophetess" Juanita Bynum is on Daystar pushing her false theology because "God knew that Daystar need a big-time prophet and not a minor prophet."
You can give a one-time gift of $77 if you only want a "band-aid blessing" or a "spare tire with a hole in it blessing", but those who promise to give $77 a month for a full year will receive an "open heaven blessing" that will last all 12 months.
If you pledge to give $37.45 every month for 12 months to Daystar, God will have your husband accept Christ, your son or daughter come back to God, your business will prosper, and other promises that were made along these lines.
The "Prosperity Gospel" or "Health and Wealth Gospel" has been becoming quite popular lately, especially among the more poor communities in America. The idea that if you give your money to the church, God will make you financially wealthy. The most common verses taken out of context to support this false gospel are Mark 10:30, Matthew 13:18-23, and Galatians 6:7. A quick read of the entire chapters will easily disprove any beliefs that these are guarantees of riches if you give to a ministry, so I won’t even bother with explaining it away. I will, however, point out what the preachers of this false gospel are doing. The preachers who teach and preach the "sow a seed" "health and wealth" gospel are preying on man’s biggest sins- greed, love of money, and lack of trust in God to provide for your needs each day.

The hope behind the "sow a seed" gospel is that of a sure-thing casino. If I give this church $300, then God will give me back $3,000! The heart behind the giving isn’t charity or a desire to help spread the gospel, it is about getting money out of it. Now, I realize that for some, it is out of a desire to give back to God what He has given to you, and to me that is the heart God wants us to have, but for too many it is a selfish desire to receive more money simply out of giving up a little bit. The Bible says, "for where your treasure is, there your heart will also be." This comes out of Matthew 6, which is a great chapter on giving and the heart behind it. Some could misinterpret this passage and think that it proves giving to Daystar will get you treasures in heaven, and maybe so, I am certainly not God. I will say, however, that my big concern is that the Preachers on Daystar don’t phrase it that way. They tell you that if you give to their ministry, God will give back your money to you multiplied so you may be rich and have a big house, fancy car, designer clothing, etc. Therefore, most people giving to Daystar are doing so in hopes that contractually God will have to give them wealth here on earth. It is a sad, selfish, greedy sin that they are committing and I do not believe God blesses those giving in that way.

Additionally, the Preachers on Daystar promise health. They say that sickness is either a case of not giving enough to a ministry, a lack of faith, or an attack from Satan. Paul was afflicted with physical pain and God told him it was placed there and was staying there to keep him humble. So that God’s power would be made perfect in Paul’s weakness (2 Cor. 12). If Paul was not blessed with perfect health, the SUPERMAN of the New Testament, why do we think perfect health for us is just a donation away? I firmly believe God does heal people, I have seen it with my own eyes, but He also doesn’t heal others. He is Sovereign and I am not, nor are the preachers who promise health for a portion of money.

This blog could go on forever, as nothing gets under my skin more than the con-artists who use the name of Jesus to further their own bank account, but I will simply leave you with this question: Why do the same preachers who denounce the actions of the Catholic Church selling "indulgences" right before the Reformation, go on television and promise health and wealth and happiness through the giving of money? I would not like to be these people on Judgement Day.

7 comments:

Tim from the D said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tim from the D said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tim from the D said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tim from the D said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tim from the D said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tim from the D said...

I saw John Hagee on the telethon prosperity preaching for the sake of Daystar. I had respect for John ad saw him as a strong conservative preacher, that was a gifted teacher of prophesy. I was surprised to see him prosperity preaching, Did Daystar threaten to remove his programming slot?

Nature boy said...

Nice article brother